Matoke should be bought when it is green
and firm. It can be cooked in water or steamed in banana leaves. Cook matoke
unpeeled so the nutrients are not lost. Matoke can be
served with groundnut sauce, meat, vegetables or it can be added
to delicious stews.
Matoke contains a lot of healthy carbohydrates to give us lots of energy. It contains a lot of water to stop us from getting dehydrated and therefore keeps our bodies working properly. Matoke also contains a lot of Potassium and vitamins A, B6 and C.
- Carbohydrates give us energy to work. The body breaks down the carbohydrates in matoke very slowly. This helps to keep our blood sugar at a constant level so we have a constant source of energy. It also prevents type 2 Diabetes.
- Water which our bodies need a lot of to keep them working properly.
- Potassium helps to control our blood pressure and therefore reduces the risk of strokes and heart disease.
- Vitamin A is needed to keep our eyes healthy.
- B6 keeps your nervous system healthy.
- Vitamin C helps
our bodies fight disease.