Butternut squash is a delicious
vegetable that has a very thick skin so it can be
stored for a long time.
To cook butternut, peel off the skin and cut into cubes then boil or steam the cubes until they are soft. You can dry the seeds and plant them in your shamba so you can grow more butternut.
Steaming is the best way of cooking butternut. The nutrients are not lost in the water. Just put a sieve over a sufuria with a little water in it and heat.
- Vitamin C helps our bodies fight
- Vitamin A keeps our eyes healthy:
- Vitamins B1 and B5 help our body’s use the
protein and fats we eat to grow
- Vitamin B3 keeps our circulation in
- Vitamin B6 keeps nervous system
- Folates help to make healthy red blood cells and help to stop us from getting depressed. Folates are very important for pregnant women and during the 1000-day period. Folates help to prevent miscarriages and help the baby to develop a healthy spinal chord and brain.
- Potassium helps reduce high blood
pressure and keep our hearts healthy.
- Manganese keeps our blood sugar