- Seedlings should be sourced from KALRO centres and other registered tree nurseries.
- Dig holes 2ft by 2ft by 2ft. Spacing may range from 6m by 7m to 8m by 10m. Separate the topsoil and the subsoil.
- Mix topsoil with 2 buckets (20kg) of well-rotted manure and 120g of TSP/DAP5.
- Firm the soil around the seedling and water well.
- Apply mulch to reduce moisture loss and control the growth of weeds.
- Water seedlings with 5 to 20 litres of water depending on the size of the seedling.
- Apply one wheelbarrow of well-decomposed manure twice a year.
- Remove some of the already formed fruits in order to reduce competition for nutrients, therefore ensuring high-quality fruits.
- Proper management, sanitation, and maintenance of the trees will control diseases in your orchard.
- Uproot and destroy disease ridden trees.
Avocados should only be harvested when they are mature. Signs of maturity are:
- The fruit stems turn yellow, the skin may appear less shiny, or the end develops rust-like spots on green varieties.
- Fruits float on the surface when immersed into water.
Click here to download a detailed guide on growing avocados.